Sunday 24 October 2010

A day in my pantry






I have been wanting to clean out my pantry for 12 months now. I used to do these Spring cleaning jobs with monotonous regularity earlier in my married life but in recent times I have way too many interests, commitments and obligations, so my Spring cleaning suffers. Life gets too busy... Oddly enough, I miss those Spring cleaning Saturdays!

Yesterday was a bright and clear sunny day and I spent a happy time cleaning out my pantry, listening to tunes through the iPod dock. To the songs of Eva Cassidy and Peggy Lee I sang my heart out, rehearsing for the next concert at the Sydney Opera House whilst I sorted and cleaned, and scrubbed and sorted some more.
I don't sort my spices into alphabetical order anymore or line the knives and forks up like soldiers in the cutlery drawer, but I do still like everything to be in neat Tupperware stacks! Phew! I hear you say? I have a life! But there is nothing more pleasurable than opening your cupboards to find them clean and orderly.... life gets in the way... as I, like so many others, try to cram so much into my day with working full time, hobbies, study, interests, committees, community activities.
This is my dilemma... being 'houseproud' as my Nan and mother would approvingly comment on someone they met probably in the 1950's, having everything in order, or jettisoned into living a very full life and squeezing as much in as you can to your day.

No comments: